[ale] My Raspberry π is here

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Wed Oct 17 16:22:59 EDT 2012

Excellent ideas.  Many of these concepts would also be welcome for discussion over at the Atlanta Hobby Robot Club.  They love PI too.

http://www.botlanta.com/

Sincerely,

Ron

"mike at trausch.us" <mike at trausch.us> wrote:

>On 10/17/2012 10:11 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:

>the
>>>
>>> They are wonderful little things.
>>>
>>> I ordered 5 after last month's meeting so that we could play with
>them,
>>> and I am already looking at putting them to use to solve some
>>> long-standing problems that these are just absolutely perfect for
>solving.
>>
>> Okay, what long-standing problems are they absolutely perfect for
>solving?
>
>#1. I'd like to use it as the new controller for the house security
>system.  Our mainboard for the security system (which we don't have
>monitoring for) died, and I'm fairly confident that I can use the Rπ to
>drive the existing sensors, though I may need to have a board in
>between
>them that converts from 12V or 5V signals to 3.3V ones.  I haven't dug
>in just yet to actually figure out the physical details of this
>security
>system.  (Also, there is a board that allows you to hook up Arduino
>sheilds to a Rπ, available online; Radio Shack seems to sell a lot of
>Arduino stuff, and with such a board, one can easily add GPRS or 3G
>connectivity to the Rπ, making it ideal for use in a security
>application such as this.)
>
>Plus, then I control the security system, and not some hard-wired logic
>or pre-programmed and opaque microcontrollers that ADT installed once
>upon a time, and I can add functionality to it, too.
>
>#2. I'd like to use it to interface with ad-hoc circuits to do various
>things in my goals learning low-level electronics.  One problem that I
>have had is I've been paralyzed by both indecision and ignorance on
>this; the Rπ eliminates a lot of that, because there are a lot of GPIO
>pins available, and one can use those pins to interface with any sort
>of
>external circuitry.  Plus, I can learn ARM, very inexpensively.
>
>#3. I'd like to install one in the car to log OBD-II readings when we
>experience troubles, and I'd like to actually build the thing to do
>that.  Not because I can't buy a dongle, because they have OBD-II
>dongles that communicate with smartphones via Bluetooth now, but it'd
>be
>a good learning experience, IMHO, and a useful one as well.
>
>#4. I'd like to use them to control relays so that I can forcibly
>power-on and power-off things remotely.  This, mostly because the
>things
>I want are either too expensive or too inflexible for my needs.  These
>things can allow me to use a custom-written SSH subsystem with
>key-based
>authentication to directly control relays that control AC power, which
>is a nifty capability.  Again, more learning that I want to do and not
>an unpractical application.
>
>#5. A monitoring dashboard!  This thing hooks up to the TV, and can
> [...]

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com