[ale] Source for Inexpensive, Quiet, Low-Power, rackmount server?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 17 10:09:19 EDT 2012

"mike at trausch.us" <mike at trausch.us> writes:

> Just keep an eye on it.
>
> My own experience with SSDs has been they either die very early, or they
> last as long as described.  Of course, this mirrors my experience with
> HDDs as well.
>
> They are *very* fast when it comes to random I/O.  I used one as the
> primary drive in my laptop for quite some time and I was very happy with
> it.  I haven't put one in a production deployment yet, though, as for
> those I need lots of space that is inexpensive, and SSDs don't quite fit
> that bill yet.  Though they're getting closer.  While the databases that
> I manage aren't huge, the file shares and email boxes I manage are
> absolutely astronomical by comparison (about 400 GB each and growing all
> the time).

Have you (or anyone else) done or seen any experimentation with
MySQL/databases and SSD v. spinning disk?  I would think that RAM would
be more important unless the full working set is larger than available
RAM?

> 	--- Mike

-derek