[ale] Source for Inexpensive, Quiet, Low-Power, rackmount server?

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Tue Oct 16 22:00:22 EDT 2012

"mike at trausch.us" <mike at trausch.us> wrote:

>On 10/16/2012 09:05 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>> I was unable to find definitive data on how these things fail at the
>> end of their life.  Also, if the unit is powered off, and it cannot
>> do it's data scrubbing, your data can fade away relatively quickly.
>> Probably not a problem with a server that's generally always on.
>
>Flash has a decent enough retention---a device that's powered off for a
>few weeks will work just fine.  My laptop with the SSD is off for
>months
>at a time, and I have no errors on it.
>
>Failure will manifest the same way as any other block device, with I/O
>errors at the block level.  Some SSDs attempt to abstract this away a
>little more than HDDs do, by moving data around the media more.
>However, once that stops being effective, you'll get either bad data
>reads or read errors.
>
>Of course, if you have a sane backup regimen, it doesn't really matter:
>you should always assume that all of your HDDs/SSDs are going to die
>all
>at the same time, always.  It is the only way to be safe, period.
>
>	--- Mike

I TOTALLY agree with your last statement.  However, I'd bet real money, if I had much of it, that 90% of all people and all companies don't meet the goal.  That includes me much of the time.  Hope I just didn't jynx all my data.

Ron

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com