[ale] OT converting old videos, cataloging dvds, storing forever

Matt Hessel matt.hessel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 18:00:38 EDT 2012

When my 8 month old tried to buff the hardwood floor with some choice discs
from our dvd collection, I decided to find a better way to handle video.

I ripped each one and converted to h.264, then stored on my computer
upstairs, then set up streaming to the ps3 downstairs for the kids to watch.

I had to experiment a bit to get the results I wanted, but now I get a
normal 2 hour dvd to a bit over 1 gig with 5.1 stereo output.

VHS conversion will leave a good bit of noise and artifacting, so it
doesn't compress down as much, but you should be able to put your library
in a much smaller amount of space then the MPEG 2 it sounds like you are
using.

These days I normally see 2 TB drives for about $90-120 depending on how
long you can wait for it to cough out the data.

I would set up two of those in a mirror and play with conversion tweaks to
see how small you can get them without degrading playback.