[ale] Source for Inexpensive, Quiet, Low-Power, rackmount server?

simontek at gmail.com simontek at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 16:12:47 EDT 2012

Newegg sells a atom based 1U.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

-----Original Message-----
From: "Ron Frazier (ALE)" <atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com>
Sender: ale-bounces at ale.org
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 16:10:43
To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts<ale at ale.org>
Subject: Re: [ale] Source for Inexpensive, Quiet, Low-Power,
	rackmount server?

Derek,

This is not specific to your query, but you might want to check

twit.tv/twich - This week in computer hardware podcast - a great source for hardware info

and

pcper.com - Pc Perspectives - another great source for hardware info, often quoted on twich.  Check out their leaderboard for ideas on system building at different price levels.

Sincerely,

Ron

Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:

>JD,
>
>Before I respond inline I want to point out that I think you missed the
>point of my request, and definitely missed all the details.  I am
>trying
>to build a rackmount MySQL server, so all my requests are based on that
>point.  You seemed to latch on to the fact that I mentioned MythTV, but
>you missed the part where I said that I want to offload MySQL *from*
>MythTV..  Which is surprising since it was the first sentence I wrote.
>
>To be more clear:  I am looking to build a rackmount, low-power,
>low-noise
>MySQL server that will serve many other services located on other boxes
>on
>my network.
>
>More inline..
>
>On Tue, October 16, 2012 2:19 pm, JD wrote:
>> On 10/16/2012 11:52 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm looking to offload my MySQL server off my MythTV hardware and
>onto
>>> its own server box.  This instance of MySQL handles not only MythTV
>data
>>> but also my Maia Mailguard, Zarafa, Gallery, and possibly other
>>> services.
>>
>> No. Recording TV takes more CPU that you'd expect. If you add in
>> transcoding,
>> you'll need at least a Core2Duo CPU.
>>
>> If you remove the TV recording and transcoding, then an Atom-level
>box
>> would be
>> fine.
>
>While irrelevant to the question at hand, my MythTV data sources are
>all
>HD-Homerun boxes, and I do not perform any transcoding.  But that is
>irrelevant to MySQL.   Myth uses MySQL for lots of things, including
>jump
>tables, schedules, etc.  I want to move it to separate hardware to
>"spread
>the load".
>
>>> I'd like something relatively quiet because it's living in my house,
>not
>>> in some rackspace machine room. I'd prefer to have 8GB of ram but
>all
>>> the Atom boxes I've found seem to max out at 4 (although I can
>aquire
>>> one for about $450 with an D2500HN Atom Dual Core 1.86GHz/4GB/160GB
>>> 5400RPM).
>>
>> You can build an Atom-base (or AMD E-something) for less than $200
>with
>> 4GB of
>> RAM and a picoPSU (100% silent PSU). There is no need for even 4GB of
>RAM
>> to run
>> all those things, including Zarafa.  Running the enterprise email
>process
>> on
>> there makes 1-2GB needed, but everything else will fit in 512MB. If
>you
>> use
> [...]

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com