[ale] Source for Inexpensive, Quiet, Low-Power, rackmount server?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Tue Oct 16 15:56:42 EDT 2012

JD,

Before I respond inline I want to point out that I think you missed the
point of my request, and definitely missed all the details.  I am trying
to build a rackmount MySQL server, so all my requests are based on that
point.  You seemed to latch on to the fact that I mentioned MythTV, but
you missed the part where I said that I want to offload MySQL *from*
MythTV..  Which is surprising since it was the first sentence I wrote.

To be more clear:  I am looking to build a rackmount, low-power, low-noise
MySQL server that will serve many other services located on other boxes on
my network.

More inline..

On Tue, October 16, 2012 2:19 pm, JD wrote:
> On 10/16/2012 11:52 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm looking to offload my MySQL server off my MythTV hardware and onto
>> its own server box.  This instance of MySQL handles not only MythTV data
>> but also my Maia Mailguard, Zarafa, Gallery, and possibly other
>> services.
>
> No. Recording TV takes more CPU that you'd expect. If you add in
> transcoding,
> you'll need at least a Core2Duo CPU.
>
> If you remove the TV recording and transcoding, then an Atom-level box
> would be
> fine.

While irrelevant to the question at hand, my MythTV data sources are all
HD-Homerun boxes, and I do not perform any transcoding.  But that is
irrelevant to MySQL.   Myth uses MySQL for lots of things, including jump
tables, schedules, etc.  I want to move it to separate hardware to "spread
the load".

>> I'd like something relatively quiet because it's living in my house, not
>> in some rackspace machine room. I'd prefer to have 8GB of ram but all
>> the Atom boxes I've found seem to max out at 4 (although I can aquire
>> one for about $450 with an D2500HN Atom Dual Core 1.86GHz/4GB/160GB
>> 5400RPM).
>
> You can build an Atom-base (or AMD E-something) for less than $200 with
> 4GB of
> RAM and a picoPSU (100% silent PSU). There is no need for even 4GB of RAM
> to run
> all those things, including Zarafa.  Running the enterprise email process
> on
> there makes 1-2GB needed, but everything else will fit in 512MB. If you
> use
> straight postfix and dovecot, the email part will easily fit in 384MB -
> easily.
>  This assumes no more than 10 email users.  4G is fine.  Don't know
> anything
> about mailguard requirements.

Again, I'm only asking about running MySQL.  All these services already
have homes, but they use a single MySQL database server that happens to
currently live on my MythTV server.  Again, I want to separate MySQL out
to its own box, leaving the services running where they are.

Could you give me pointers to where I can get the appropriate mobo, cpu,
ram, and rackmount case for less than $200!?!  NewEgg URLS are great.
Personally I haven't found any rackmount solutions for $200.

>> Has anyone found any good sources for inexpensive servers?
>
> When they call something a "server", add $200-$5000 to the real price.

Sure, but it's hard to search on "rackmount".  Preferably I'd like a 1U or
2U box.  I did find a 1/2 2U box for about $450 shipped.  But it only
supports 4GB RAM.  Maybe that would be enough, but RAM is king for
databases, right?

> I've
> found some newegg APU + steel case bundles for Atom-class systems and
> cases for
> $100. $30 for 4GB of RAM and $50 for the picoPSU, reuse an old HDD and you
> are
> golden for $180.  No transcoding or TV tuner.  For the TV tuners, I love
> the
> network-baed HDHR models.  Then it doesn't matter where the recording
> happens on
> your network.  I record using a virtual machine.

Again, I'm building a MySQL box, not MythTV.  Could you point me to the
NewEgg URLs for these deals?  My searching hasn't resulted in anything
useful.

>> I was also considering an SSD for this application.  Do you experts feel
>> that would help my application speeds?
>
> No, not at all, but others will have a completely different take.  Video
> streaming does not demand the costs that an SSD requires. A large HDD is
> more
> important, it doesn't need to be fast.

When does MySQL perform video streaming?  I was thinking that MySQL would
benefit from the speed of reads from the disk.  But I don't know if MySQL
is generally I/O bound, memory bound, or CPU bound.

> If you want a TV tuner and transcoding, you can find used (off lease) C2D
> boxes
> for about $200, but the PSU will probably be too noisy for a living room
> environment.

Thanks, but irrelevant.

> I'd avoid the entire "server" line, unless you are just trying to get
> something
> that looks cool and different for the house.

I want something I can mount in my rack.

Thanks,

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745