[ale] OT converting old videos, cataloging dvds, storing forever

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Tue Oct 16 15:03:48 EDT 2012

On 10/16/2012 12:29 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> Let me know what you think, and whether I've left out anything major. This
> took two hours to type and I didn't proofread it, so sorry for any errors.

Don't store the videos in MPEG2 format. Transcode them to either h.264/mkv or
xvid/avi and the average size per hour drops to less than 1/3rd your 3G
estimate. A 90 minute movie will be between 700MB and 1.4G, depending on the
level of action. The math will say that some level of quality is lost when
changing from MPEG2 into MPEG4, but the savings in file size really do make up
for any tiny amount of quality lost.

Initially, it will take more time to setup your process, but you will automate
much of it quickly.

Software list:
* $0 - bash
* $0 - perl / strawberry perl
* $0 - Task Spooler - get your batch on and under control
* $0 - Video Recording software - most tuner devices include something that is
good enough; The only requirement is that MPEG2 files are output.
* $0 - comskip
* $50 - Video Redo TV Suite (Windows only)
* $0 - ccextractor (probably doens't work with VHS tapes)
* $0 - handbrakeCLI
* $0 - mkvtoolnix to create beautiful MKV files
* $0 - gaffitter to optimally fit

For editing video, mpeg2 is the easiest. I own a straight to mpeg4/divx
recorder, but never use it because mpeg4 editing was not as easy.

4 or 5 movie length recordings will fit on a 4.7G DVD. I think you are over
thinking the disk quality question. I've been buying the cheapest DVDs possible
for years. Only 2 have failed since 2002 and those only partially failed.
Combined with par2 data, I was able to recover every bit and reburn the data to
newer, 8G DVD media. Cheap "Optimus" media has worked fine.

DVD labels - a Sharpie pen that can write "0123", "0124", "0125" ... on the
disks is pretty cheap. No cases. Buy some protective 330 disk portfolios instead.

Generally, the quality of VHS recordings ... er ... suck. Don't expect great
quality even with S-Video and SVHS tapes. Our expectations for quality have
increased over the years. When you record, set the resolution to match that of
the source material. Anything higher will make defects more visible.

In the end, I'd suggest that re-recording the shows OTA or purchasing DVDs would
be more effective for your time and will yield better quality than converting
from VHS. Still, if you have content that hasn't and will never be converted to
DVD, then this is the only way.

Video and audio sync has not been any issue for years, neither has macrovision,
at least with the recording hardware I've used.