[ale] OT: Lift up your monitors

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Tue Oct 16 09:05:46 EDT 2012

The other Mike transmitted:
> I miss having a configuration where my screens were independent.
> Xinerama seems to be the painless road, or at least the less painful
> road, and I have more or less adapted.
>
> If applications sanely supported multiple X screens (e.g., :0.0, :0.1,
> ..., :0.n), I would be much happier.  I like them being mostly
> independent, but I do want the ability to "send" a running app from one
> to the other sometimes without having to quit and re-start it on the
> other terminal.

That's how it's working for me on the dual Bodhi setup. I used to be an
expert at x.org setting files, but I have not messed with such things in
years. I've used both Xinerama and the "Nvidia settings manager" to
manage such things and do on my Ubuntu 10.04 rig. and it works well
for the bottom two monitors.

At first I thought the independent desktops were a bit weird,
but it is something I quickly found natural advantages in
and now prefer.

For the record: I used Unity on 12.04 a serious long term trial,
and it seriously affected my productivity when I used it. I found no
natural advantages in it worth mentioning for the way that I work.
It's still on the netbook that stays on the couch and is a useful
UI for consuming web content in vapid couch potato mode.