[ale] OT: Lift up your monitors

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Mon Oct 15 20:43:54 EDT 2012

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012, Damon Chesser wrote:
> I have often wondered about that use of dual heads.  Can you copy from
> left to right, ie, different desktops?  Of course you can with an
> extended desktop, but can you with dual desktops?

As with many things Linux, the answer is complicated and depends on your
exact configuration:

Usually a left and right monitor are part of the same overall desktop.
and everything works like one big monitor. Cut/Paste/Drag/Drop all work as
one. Applications all see it as one big Monitor, Enlightenment seems to do
a better job of maximizing to a screen that Ubuntu 10.04/Gnome wich
maximizes to both.

My main desktop runs three monitors, the bottom two are on one video card
and a top left one is on different card. The third runs a bit like a
seperate computer (but it is not); Cut and paste work from it to the
others, but you can not drag and drop apps, or run them in each.

I typically run Twinkle, Skype, a music player (vlc, streamtuner..
etc.. )and Chrome in my top left monitor, and xterm, Firefox and
Evolution on my bottom desktop / dual heads.

My laptop and another desktop I use are both running dual's on Bodhi
(Ubuntu + Enlightenment) and they seem to have a different paradigm that I
am slowly falling on love with.

But yes, cut/paste/etc.. all just works. really well.