[ale] OT if you must use windows, upgrade to windows 7, not 8, within a year

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Sun Oct 14 23:06:46 EDT 2012

On 10/13/2012 09:14 AM, Rich Faulkner wrote:
> We've been testing Windows 8 and Server 8 at work for the past couple
> of months.    Yes, Windows 8 has the Metro (touch) GUI - which by the
> way is dreadful; but it still has what is a (more-or-less) traditional
> desktop.  Lots of stuff has been moved around but much (that I've
> seen) is look and feel.  A lot of the modules are the same as ever
> before.  Well known keyboard shortcuts are still the same.
>
> Overall 8 looks about as appealing as Unity or Gnome3 on first
> release.  Dreadful.  (But then again I'm not a MS fanboy and I'm still
> driving Gnome2 so who am I?)
>
> <rant>
>
> I for one have no plans of deploying it or admin of it; let alone
> using it myself.  I own one (1) license of Windows 7 and that's ONLY
> because of the hardware required to do a specific job in audio
> production.  Digigram PCX924 card (PCI-based) and no Linux driver.
> Sigh...oh yeah, that system runs Protools as well.  More
> closed-source; pay-to-play and proprietary crap.  (It's the wife's
> studio stuff - what can I say?)

FWIW, I just helped my son purchase and set up pro audio gear on linux.
 I specifically searched for gear with good linux support and
recommended my son get the RME HDSPe "RayDAT".  Ubuntu 12.04 supports it
in the stock kernel, RME provides equivalent win & mac & linux utility
for hardware mixer setup, and ardour recognized all the pieces on the
first go.  Sounds great!

Phil