[ale] Little OT: Bad Linux Sysadmin Practices

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Fri Oct 12 16:23:00 EDT 2012

I can speak to that.  When being proactive and conscientious is more
discouraged than not; when being able to predict future events is
treated with disdain; when being able to accomplish a given thing at a
tiny fraction of the cost it's being accomplished at to no avail; being
the first or only person to find grave vulnerabilities (i.e., security
or operational, like the power example) and finding you're the only one
who cares; when being the only person to investigate and fully
understand a critical process and you're still not valued; knowing you
can (and eventually will) be replaced by someone younger and cheaper
(especially if you can't distinguish yourself from same due to the
aforementioned points) - being good stopped mattering.

So if you're really good at it and are gaining in happiness and/or
income from it, have at - just watch out for the day when being good
doesn't matter anymore.