[ale] Challenge converting ogv video to flv

Jason van Gumster jason at handturkeystudios.com
Thu Oct 4 16:35:27 EDT 2012

Tom Freeman <tfreeman at intel.digichem.net> wrote:

> Capture is with gtk-recordmydesktop (I think that is right) on an ASUS
> laptop running LUBUNTU 12.04, but I'm open to another capture approach.

If you have any intention of editing your screencasts, I'd recommend against
recordmydesktop. The theora codec is not particularly editor-friendly. Despite
the lack of any UI, I've had a lot of success recording screencasts directly
using ffmpeg. Basically, you record your screen (or a section of it) and encode
it to lossless x264 in a Matroska container on the fly. Then, after an edit,
you can spit it out to just about any other format without fear of sync issues.

Of course, ffmpeg's command line options are wide and varied depending on what
version of ffmpeg you have. Here's the command string I've been using for
tutorials (ffmpeg version 0.11.1):

#> ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -i hw:3,0 -f x11grab -r 24 -s 1280x720 -i :0.0+0,0 \
-vcodec libx264 -preset ultrafast -qp 0 -threads 0 capture.mkv

Of course, for your needs, you may use different values for your audio hardware
device (the -i after "-ac 2"), framerate (-r), size (-s), and screen input (the
-i after "-s 1280x720").

Also... this is my first post to this list. Hi folks!

  -Jason