[ale] Bash wildcard

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Mar 26 16:06:16 EDT 2012

Before someone ask why I'm not using GNUmakefile I'll explain.  For
years we've used GNUmakefile to build software while packages use
Makefile.  The problem is that programmers are making Makefile so
complex it is hard for me to create a GNUmakefile that does not blow
something up.  Makefile's now are calling make on their self to make
other targets.  To fix this I've had to create those same targets in
GNUmakefile.  I just got pissed over this weekend and said F'it.  I did
a find on all our GNUmakefiles and renamed them to OURmakefile.  Since
GNU make has no clue what that it I've solved the problem.  In the main
tree I simply have one GNUmakefile symlinked to OURmakefile that fires
off the build process by working through the tree and executing 'make -f
OURmakefile <insert target here>'.

Why people can't keep things simple I do not know.  I'm talking about:
all-recursive, clean-am, all-am, yada yada yada.

Oh yea, why is make not good enough for Java?  Is it because the syntax
is so cryptic that Ant had to be created? I only say this from
experience.  I tried to craft a whole build process in Perl for this
project and after going back to the GNU Make manual I've ditched it and
went back to make. :P