[ale] Diff the whole file system?

alan at alanlee.org alan at alanlee.org
Fri Mar 23 10:24:02 EDT 2012

Use rsync.  Before the install, rsync the file system to a backup directory.
 Then after the install use rsync to compare.  Example command lines for the
backup:

rsync -rvax / /backup_mounted_fs/

OR

rsync -rvax / joe at othermachine:/pre_install_backup/

Example command lines for the compare:

rsync -rvaxcn / /backup_mounted_fs/
rsync -rvaxcn / joe at othermachine:/pre_install_backup/

Note the trailing slashes, they are needed.  Also note the addition of 'c' and
'n' options on the compare.  They cause rsync to compare using checksums instead
of file metadata and to perform a test run without actually changing data
respectively - with the 'v' flag outputting what it would have synced.  'x'
instructs rsync to not descend into other file systems (eg. /proc, etc).

It's a very useful tool for things like this.

-Alan