[ale] partitioning and /usr [was Re: Looking for recommendations on LVM + soft Raid on home server]

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Thu Mar 22 09:00:36 EDT 2012

On 03/20/12 13:59, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Hmm. I can see having /var, /tmp, /usr/local, /opt, /home separate from
> /. I don't see a benefit splitting out /usr. I'm very curious as to the
> reasoning. In fact, I see a decent amount of reasoning to keep /sbin,
> /usr, /usr/sbin and /etc always on the same partition. Main one is that
> is what gets updated during a system upgrade.

The idea is that eventually, /bin and /sbin will be links to /usr/bin
and /usr/sbin, unifying the whole mess in /usr.  This removes the
special casing for / that has to be done in the build systems of many
projects.  (Not that this affects most system administrators; if they
build software on the system themselves, it usually goes to /usr/local
by default; but trying to manually graft things into /bin, /sbin, etc.
can be a pain.)

Now, you have a system where /etc and /boot are on the root filesystem,
and you have a shared /usr tree that many different systems can share.
You can have /var on a separate tree as well.

Note that these "modern" systems will use /run instead of /var/run, and
it expects that /run will be a tmpfs type thing.

I usually also have a filesystem for /srv, which is the filesystem that
I use to hold all data that services expose over a network.  e.g., web
site roots, databases, and Samba filesystems are all in /srv on my systems.

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”