[ale] Looking for recommendations on LVM + soft Raid on home server

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Tue Mar 20 07:56:31 EDT 2012

Thanks for the response.   I'll admit that I'm learning LVM as I go
here.   I _really_ liked the feature where LVM will mirror a
LV..........provided you have THREE physical volumes.    Yeah, that's
real handy for a two drive SATA server.    What happens when one of
those PV bites the dust?

Now, I've already messed with logging in as root, unmounting /home
and /u, and resizing both.

However, I had to unmount them in order for the native LVM to be willing
to do that. which makes perfect sense.

How is it that you can resize / without booting to a rescue disk?    And
if you have to boot to a CD/Usb to resize root, well, is there any
advantage to having / on LVM, or would it be safer to have / a regular
non-lvm filesystem, so that the thing is more likely to survive a
variety of events?

Neal