[ale] Linux shell process

Ken Cochran kwc at TheWorld.com
Mon Mar 19 10:43:08 EDT 2012

Hmm, interesting.  Sorta a couple of "datapoints" I guess:

uname -a:
IRIX64 shell01 6.5 07201611 IP27

"man calendar"
calendar(1)                                                        calendar(1)

NAME
     calendar - reminder service

SYNOPSIS
     calendar [ - ]

DESCRIPTION
     calendar consults the file calendar in the current directory and prints
     out lines that contain today's or tomorrow's date anywhere in the line.
     Most reasonable month-day dates such as Aug.  24, august 24, 8/24, and so
     on, are recognized, but not 24 August or 24/8.  On weekends ``tomorrow''
     extends through Monday.  calendar can be invoked regularly by using the
     crontab(1) or at(1) commands.
[... etc ...]

>From MacOSX 10.6.8 "Snow Leopard"
uname -a
Darwin Macintosh.local 10.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Tue Jun  7 16:33:36 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

"man calendar"
CALENDAR(1)               BSD General Commands Manual              CALENDAR(1)

NAME
     calendar -- reminder service

SYNOPSIS
     calendar [-a] [-A num] [-B num] [-F friday] [-f calendarfile]
              [-t dd[.mm[.year]]] [-W num]

DESCRIPTION
     The calendar utility checks the current directory for a file named
     calendar and displays lines that begin with either today's date or tomor-
     row's.  On the day before a weekend (normally Friday), events for the
     next three days are displayed.