[ale] Cory Doctorow, right again

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 17:48:53 EDT 2012

I said "yourself" for a reason. I am well aware of the benefits of many
people reading the code. I'm not a member of this list because I hate
Linux. But whe the thread is started off with the statement that the
platform is inherently bad because _you_ don't control it, that leads to
the assertion that _you_ should be vetting all the code run on it.

I read the Ars article this morning. And I shared it with other people. But
the essence of that exploit is "don't trust a wireless network" and we
should all know that one. And I know that the phone is never truly locked
once it gets into the hands of someone who knows a couple things. But no
device is once it is in an intruder's possession.

My argument is simple: the claim that one platform is better simply because
you "control" and some people download bad software is silly. The platform
"you control" has seen many more instances of malware, and completely
bogus, stolen, applications that the one that you don't control. Does that
make it an inherently bad platform? No. You have to use your good judgement
just like with every other platform on which you can install software on
your own.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2012/03/loose-lipped-iphones-top-the-list-of-smartphones-exploited-by-hacker.ars

http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/