[ale] PDF reader

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Fri Mar 16 15:38:42 EDT 2012

On 03/13/2012 05:51 PM, Chris Fowler wrote:
> I've used xpdf, but have not used this.  It is loaded by default on
> Ubuntu's install.  I can keep Acrobat for CLI usage.  I need to locate
> the MIME type for pdf in Firefox and change it to evince.
>
> I think the problem with Acrobat is that it installs a plug-in that just
> works poorly.  I'm fine if the browser saves the file in /tmp and forks
> a process of xpdf or evince.

That is what will happen in a default installation that has Evince
installed.  There is also a program that will let you embed any
arbitrary X11 application into the Web browser window for things like
being able to view PDF files in the browser window, but I wouldn't go
down that road; it has only ever created problems for me.  (Many
applications do not play well with applications that attempt to gobble
them up.)

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”