[ale] Cory Doctorow, right again

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Mar 16 15:20:34 EDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-03-16 at 14:24 -0400, Tim Watts wrote:
> I thought Apple's "good reason" for the AppStore restriction was that
> you knew you were getting safe software from a reliable source.  So the
> price you paid in your freedom was supposed to be worth it.  Turns out,
> not so much.  Turns out, the cost to your freedom is mainly for Apple's
> profits.  Now this still doesn't necessarily make FOSS safer but if I
> wanted an app and I knew of a FOSS version that I trusted but wasn't
> available on the AppStore then too bad for me.

No, that's not correct.  That wasn't their "good reason" it was their
"excuse to hide behind".  That's their marketing and PR line.  "Eat is
because it's good for you."  The reality is that it's to protect their
revenue stream and their control of your device.  They don't politically
like what an app does, they can remove it (and have done so).  Oh!  That
looks like a good idea, we might want to market that idea ourselves but
we'll have to remove your app first (they've done that too).  They've
proven over and over again that they will react to claim and control
exclusive rights to your device so they can insure their 30% cut of
everything sold to you and they can dictate your morals and ethics
(abortion or sexual orientation, for-get-it unless it agrees with
their's).  Last time I looked, they pulled VLC from the iPhone store and
you will find no GPL apps up there because they disapprove of that
license and have adapted their terms of service to make GPL code
incompatible with their agreements.  It's not about security and it
never was.  That was just their excuse for making you do what you would
never do with your PC or laptop.

Regards,
Mike