[ale] 1and1 hosting

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Tue Mar 13 10:40:59 EDT 2012

On 03/13/2012 10:06 AM, Geoffrey Myers wrote:
> Just got a message regarding my hosting package.  Thought the list might
> find this interesting:
>
> What will improve?
> =============================
> Apart from better performance and more security, the migration
> to a Linux operating environment (based on Debian Squeeze/6.0)
> specifically adapted to the needs of 1&1 and its customers...

Wasn't 1&1 one of the providers that Microsoft gave a huge payout to
some years back if they would host a lot of Windows stuff in their
business?  I seem to recall some sort of deal where Microsoft paid
hosting providers a lot of money to host Windows stuff (enough that
everything that the provider charged was pure profit, because if memory
serves, Microsoft provided the hardware _and_ the software _and_ money
on the side... but I could be wrong).

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”