[ale] Do all new large SATA drives suck?

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Fri Mar 2 16:40:54 EST 2012

Thanks for the information.

We tend to use iozone on new systems.   Iozone has a diagnostic test
method where it writes a known file of specified size various way and
re-reads and compares.   We experienced a really strange failure on a
big Compaq server about 6 years ago where linux didn't properly handle
over 4GB of RAM, and just plain forgot about certain blocks it had
written to ram buffers but not to disk.     Iozone was great for
diagnosing that, as Compaq wanted to blame the Progress DBMS system.
Pointing out that iozone failed got us out of the blame loop.     Iozone
is used more for benchmarking, and we've found it handy to run on a new
server to see if the performance is in line with what we'd expect.

It seems you really have to do both the low level hardware burn in as
you note below, and a OS level test like Iozone to make sure the
filesystem holds together.