[ale] IPv4 devices on IPv6 network

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Sat Jun 30 13:54:40 EDT 2012

On 6/30/2012 09:44, Michael Campbell wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 1:10 AM, Alex Carver <agcarver+ale at acarver.net>wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Got a "plan ahead" question for you.  I've got a handful of
>> firmware-based devices that are IPv4-only never to be made IPv6 capable
>> (PLCs, some print servers, data loggers, etc.)
>>

> This may not affect you, and just an FYI, but...you mention AT&T later, so
> be aware that at least with U-Verse, they have said that LANs (on uVerse)
> can no longer use the 10.0.0.0/8 addresses.  There is rumor that this is
> due to AT&T moving to a corporate wide NAT where their whole network is
> going to be behind a NAT, and that your AT&T modem/router is going to be
> given a 10.*.*.* address in that space.   This is supposed to happen 6-Jul.
>
> The other rumor is that you can have an externally visible IP4 IP for an
> additional $15/mo.  I don't know how this works with existing static IP
> users, and personally I've subscribed to a third party VPN provider through
> which I can forward ports back to my machine so I can have an externally
> visible machine, since I do run services that I need to get to from outside
> AT&T's network.
>
> So, now we wait.  I'm not a network guy, so I assume there's a way to
> segregate your LAN from theirs even if they do this, but people here
> smarter than I can debate the feasibility and wisdom of doing so =)

I have not heard any formal mention from AT&T.  My 10.0.0.0/8 is with my
own router whose external IP is a static, public IP from AT&T (one of
five).  I am not using 10.0.0.0/8 off of their own U-verse interface
box, only mine (the default internal IP space of the U-verse box is
192.168.0.0/16 but I think it is cut down to 192.168.0.0/24).  Static IP
is no rumor, I already have it and it really is $15/month (as quoted on
my bill sitting on my desk right now).

Technically my U-verse box has two IPs.  One of them is an AT&T IP for
the box and anything that uses the box's DHCP/NAT to access the world
(those devices, like STBs, get the internal 192.168.0.0/24).  The other
IP is my personal static IP that gets passed through untouched the
U-verse box to my own router.  No firewalls or port blocks in the way of
that IP, it's a straight pipe.