[ale] low level format

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Tue Jun 26 20:31:47 EDT 2012

Go to ultimatebootcd.com, download the cd, and burn it. Then boot it. There are some disk wiping utils there. I like copywipe. WARNING, be VERY careful which drive you tell the program to erase. Look at the partition structure. If you tell it to erase your main system drive, it will gladly do so. You could attach your junk drive to a usb housing or to an internal sata port. Try filling the drive with random numbers about 5-6 times. This takes a good bit of time. This lets the controller thoroughly, and repeatedly, analyze and find bad or questionable sectors. Then boot linux and format the drive. Then run disk utility (that's what it's called in Ubuntu) and run a long smart test if you have access to the smart subsystem at all. If all this works, you can probably trust the drive with data. HOWEVER, if the disk utility is showing bad sectors on the drive, it's better to retire it. If you were running Windows, you could run a disk check and read only surface analysis from Windows Explorer from the tools menu. I don't think it's possible to really low level format any more.

Sincerely,

Ron

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern. My email address has changed. Replying to former
address. Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

call on the phone. I get about 300 emails per day from alternate energy
mailing lists and such. I don't always see new email messages very quickly.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O) Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com

Chuck Payne <terrorpup at gmail.com> wrote:

I haven't done a low level format since the days when I ran only SCSI.
Can I do a low level format on SATA Drives? I am trying to see if a
drive is really toast, or can be save. I am running Linux on the host
that it is on.

--
Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne

(678) 636-9678

openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
Community Manager -- Southeast Linux Foundation (SELF)
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want
Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.
See you at Southeast Linux Fest, June 8-10, 2012 in Charlotte, NC.
www.southeastlinuxfest.org

See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at
http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo