[ale] [OT] Traffic Monday

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Fri Jun 22 09:05:07 EDT 2012

Typically at that time of day coming up I 75/ I 85 through town shouldn't be too bad.   You can go up 85 north when they split then take I 285 west from there  (make sure you're NORTH of downtown - 285 goes all the way around the city) OR you can go up 85 north then get on GA 400 North which is a toll road then exit on 285 from there.  400 comes out right in the Dunwoody area.

If you had to come around the loop to avoid downtown your best bet is to go 285 towards Birmingham/Chattanooga SOUTH of downtown then once you get back to 75 North of downtown continue east towards Dunwoody.   It is roughly the same distance as going up 75 to the 75/285 interchange in Cobb County whereas going up 285 the other way to the 85/285 interchange (Spaghetti Junction) is a much longer drive.

When I first interviewed for a job in Atlanta back in the 80s I told the prospective employer I was at the 75/285 junction when asking for directions.   They thought I meant south of downtown when I was north of downtown and I didn't know 285 was a loop.   They ended up sending me the long way around the loop to get to the exit and worse yet since I was coming from the opposite direction they had me turn the wrong way on the exit road.  5 miles later when I hit a dirt road I was fairly confident I'd been given the wrong directions.   Luckily on turn around just as I was headed back to interstate I saw the place I was looking for across the freeway.