[ale] OT Are you using QR codes on business cards and how

Michael Campbell michael.campbell at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 12:58:43 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) <
atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm thinking about ordering some business cards / contact cards to give to
> people I meet while going back to school to learn programming and for later
> use when I start job hunting. I'm wanting to incorporate QR codes (2
> dimensional bar codes) into the cards. I've done some googling and this
> seems to be a popular tactic. I'm wondering if any of you are doing this.
> My sister has a specialty merchandise business and can get the printing
> done for me. I'm more interested in how you design, create, and use the QR
> codes.

I have a personal business card with nothing more than my human-readable
email address (this one, so it's easy to figure out my name) on the front,
and my personal QR code on the back.   The QR code contains my name, email,
and phone #.   My phone # is a google voice # so it's trivially easy to
block people that abuse it and I never hear from them again.  My "real"
cell # I don't even bother giving out any more.

It's more a novelty than anything else, but most people I give them to like
them (which so far has been recruiters, who love EVERYTHING you give or say
to them, and at tech conferences where I am amongst largely like-minded
folk).  To my wife, they're just eye-roll cringeworthy, but after 24 years
of marriage most everything I do is that.  Just HAVING the cards is nice
since really techie people who want my info can just scan it and they don't
have to keep the card.

I used http://zxing.appspot.com/generator/ to generate the code, then saved
the image and used vistaprint.com to print the cards.