[ale] Has anybody used a flash disk recovery service?

David W. Millians millia at panix.com
Wed Jun 6 09:06:17 EDT 2012

On Tue, June 5, 2012 4:01 pm, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-06-05 at 11:13 -0400, david w. millians wrote:
>
>> Opinions needed on a flash drive repair service. We have a person who
>> did the laptop-flash-destruction maneuver.
>
> What means "laptop-flash-destruction maneuver"?  No cutesy terms, what
> happened?  Did they delete everything on it?  Did it start giving them
> hard errors?  Did they run it through a washer and drier?  [Actually had
> that happen with a little pocket drive - the NAND Flash chip fell off
> the little PCB from the driver heat.  Wasn't anything on it I needed to
> recover, fortunately.]  What was the technically correct term for what
> they did and what they got?

They stood up with the flash drive in the side of the laptop. The lanyard
stayed with the chair. The flash drive bent downward at a 90 degree angle.
The PCB is in two, and only one of the connections needed re-soldering.

It's not the first drive I've seen this happen unfortunately. I've
probably re-soldered about 35-40 of these for people from this exact
behavior. So, that's the reason I used the phrase, and I apologize for the
shorthand.