[ale] Low voltage work in GA

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Tue Jul 31 13:36:14 EDT 2012

On Tue, July 31, 2012 1:27 pm, Lightner, Jeff wrote:

> My recollection was that plenum rated cable removed the need for conduit.
>  (That is you need to either use plenum rated or conduit but not both.)
> I’m not licensed in this stuff myself so I could be wrong.

Plenum cable does remove the need for conduit because of the fireproof
rating of the plenum insulation.  If you do not use plenum cable then you
MUST use conduit if the cables are run in an air return space.  If the air
returns are ducted (like in a house) then you do not necessarily need
plenum cable.

Note that you MAY still run plenum cable in a conduit.  There is nothing
wrong with that, per se.  It's just more expensive and not necessary, but
it is not against code.  So it's not "either-or".

Enjoy!

-derek
--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745