[ale] Running a hands off remote Linux installation

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Jul 31 11:50:20 EDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 11:31 -0400, Jim Lynch wrote:
> On 07/31/2012 10:30 AM, simontek at gmail.com wrote:
> > Who shuts off a server? Get a server with amt or pmi built in. Allows you to log in, and turn on a machine that is turned off
> The scenario is that the computer senses the power is gone and does an
> orderly shutdown before the UPS battery dies.  That's why it's shut off.

> I guess I'm not going to do it since all the solutions so far include
> spending big bucks.  I had hoped I could just use a spare system I have
> sitting around.

1) You haven't defined just what constitutes "big bucks".

2) You say a spare system but the problem depends HEAVILY on the
capability of said spare system.

* Does it support power recovery in "Always Power On"?

Cheap.  $0 solution.

* Does it support Wake-On-Lan?

Still cheap.  Under $100 solution.  Maybe a little more if you toss in a
serial to USB adapter for a remote serial console (I would).

* Does it support timed wakeups?

Another $0 Solution.

There's a variety of ways you can do this but it depends on the
capability of the machine you have in mind.

> Thanks,

> Jim.

Regards,
Mike