[ale] Modem/router config for Comcast

Matt Rutherford matthew.g.rutherford at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 15:28:32 EDT 2012

Most residential cable modems (the ones without a built-in wifi) are in
bridge/pass-through mode by default - what modem manufacturer and model are
you using? The cable modem should pass a public IP to the router, which can
then handle all the NATing. While cable modems answer to a 'local' IP
address (Motorolas, for example, will reply as 192.168.100.1 even when
you're not getting DHCP from the cable system), they generally do not NAT
by default.

-Matt R