[ale] Modem/router config for Comcast

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Sun Jul 29 13:35:28 EDT 2012

I have purchased a modem and router to replace the Comcast supplied
equipment and am wondering how to configure same.  I read in a recent
thread about asking the company to configure the modem as a pass-through
device.  That's what I'm currently doing with the existing DSL service,
letting the router do the PPPoE authentication.  Since I haven't gotten
any user/pw info I'm making a wild guess that cable modems don't use
PPPoE??   This is a residential installation.

1. So the questions are, can I get the drones supporting a residential
installation to configure my modem as a pass-through?
If I do, what's the connection type?
Is there an authentication mechanism I'll need a user/pass for?

2. Or am I going to have to leave the modem alone and  get an IP from
the modem via DHCP?

I'd rather not have two DHCP servers between me and the network, if
that's possible.

I know how DSL works but I haven't had any experience with cable to
date.  I googled for info but all I could come up with was how to
accomplish #2.

Thanks,
Jim.