[ale] high performance computing

Jeff Layton laytonjb at att.net
Thu Jul 26 13:47:15 EDT 2012

  On 07/26/2012 01:27 PM, John Heim wrote:
> From: "Jeff Layton"<laytonjb at att.net>
> To: "Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts"<ale at ale.org>
>> While I do work for a vendor I will do my very best not to behave like
>> one on this list :)  So fire away - what are your questions?
>>
> The immediate issue is to decide which vendors to contact. The principle
> investigator is doing parallelized FFTs  so I don't know the maximum cores
> he could use but he could probably use as many as we can get. He is writing
> a grant proposal asking for $200K - $300K.

There are lots of vendors to contact (including the one I work for :)  ).

Can you say a little more about the application? 2D FFT's? 3D FFT's?
Is the code parallelized via MPI or OpenMP or both? Is the code written
with CUDA? How many cores or processes are used per run?

Does he need to write additional code? Which compilers do they
use or like?

How large are the input/output files?

Thanks!

Jeff