[ale] OT: How many Linux guys are looking for work in ATL?

Robert L. Harris robert.l.harris at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 13:27:06 EDT 2012

I Agree with Erik on all points.  Remember they are out to make a profit,
not be your best friend.

One exception, I do have one recruiter I trust implicitly but I've also
known her for 17 years.  In that time she has placed friends of mine and
she's asked me to do first-round screenings for her before she submits to a
client.  So she is a VERY one-off recruiter.

Do NOT pay any recruiter.  They get their pay from the company when they
place you.  The ones who want you to place them, "for executive and high
level positions", you might as well send your money to Nigeria.

Robert

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Erik Mathis <erik at mathists.com> wrote:

> I tend to take the scorched earth approach with recruiters and lend
> loyalty to none. Email only comms with them at first, then 20 min otp
> if the job description sounds interesting.
>
> I'm very upfront with what I want and don't want. In this last go
> around in the job market I wanted to work with cloud stuff, and I
> didn't want to do ANY windows stuff. I also do tell them I'm making a
> decision on what job I'm taking at the end of the month and I have two
> soft offers on the table already. That tends to weed out the lame-o's
> and find the hungry ones very quickly.
>
> Their jobs as I see it to get me a job, the first few that gets back
> to me a phone interview (and do what they say they are going to do) I
> generally will continue to work with. Its not enough to put all your
> hopes in one recruiter as they can only fill jobs that they have in
> front of them you may not be a good fit for those positions.
>
> just my 2 cents
>
> -Erik-
>
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 9:53 AM,  <simontek at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am not currently looking for work. But in the past, I learn not to
> trust recruiters. Most lie, they submit you, and you never hear back. So I
> tend to avoid them.

:wq!
Robert L. Harris

DISCLAIMER:
       ALONE.  I speak for                      First One Should Be A Man
       no-one else.                                     - Manowar