[ale] high performance computing

Jeff Layton laytonjb at att.net
Thu Jul 26 12:46:19 EDT 2012

  On 07/26/2012 11:19 AM, Vernard Martin wrote:
> On 7/25/2012 4:01 PM, John Heim wrote:
>> Anybody know of an email list for people to talk about high performance
>> computing? I need to just get some general understanding of the concepts. It
>> looks like most HPC machines run linux. My department has $200K to spend and
>> I'd like to find out what kinds of systems we can get for that kind of
>> money. The people using the machine have their own specific needs but they
>> are counting on me to help them out with expandability. So they can tell me
>> it needs X number os and Y Gb of RAM. But then they're expecting me to tell
>> them what they can get for that $200K.
>>
> By far the most useful group for this sort of thing is the Beowulf
> Mailing list (beowulf at beowulf.org). Subscribe to it and be polite as you
> ask your questions. You might also try to search the archives. You can
> probably get the answers to your questions right there.

The Beowulf list is all but dead. When Don Becker left Penguin
to go to Nvidia the list basically died (and the signal/noise ratio
got really bad).

I'm been doing HPC for a bit north of 25 years in various capacities.
User, coder, admin, vendor sales, author, etc. I currently write for
a couple of websites and I've written for various magazines and
websites in the past.

While I do work for a vendor I will do my very best not to behave like
one on this list :)  So fire away - what are your questions?

Thanks!

Jeff