[ale] high performance computing

Vernard Martin vernard at venger.net
Thu Jul 26 11:19:52 EDT 2012

On 7/25/2012 4:01 PM, John Heim wrote:
> Anybody know of an email list for people to talk about high performance
> computing? I need to just get some general understanding of the concepts. It
> looks like most HPC machines run linux. My department has $200K to spend and
> I'd like to find out what kinds of systems we can get for that kind of
> money. The people using the machine have their own specific needs but they
> are counting on me to help them out with expandability. So they can tell me
> it needs X number os and Y Gb of RAM. But then they're expecting me to tell
> them what they can get for that $200K.

By far the most useful group for this sort of thing is the Beowulf
Mailing list (beowulf at beowulf.org). Subscribe to it and be polite as you
ask your questions. You might also try to search the archives. You can
probably get the answers to your questions right there.

If you need answers faster then drop me an email. HPC linux clusters is
my specialty and I deal with this stuff every day.

Vernard