[ale] OT: Unique Google Maps Page

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Sat Jul 21 16:14:58 EDT 2012

I'm am looking for a unique web site that uses Google Maps.

Here is the problem.

Back in 2006 I lost some weight by walking miles in my subdivision.  I
estimated that in the course of 6 months I walked the distance between
Atlanta and Orlando.  Today I believe I was wrong.  I know how long the
sidewalk is in my sub, but I did not keep track of laps nor did I track
steps taken during the day while awake.

Back in May I intended to step it up again.  On Satruday at a ham fest
in Dayton I walked so many hours I was back into my groove.  An RFE
introduced me to fitbit (www.fitbit.com) and on 05/22 I picked one up at
Best Buy.  A few days shy of 2 months I rolled over the 500m mark.  This
is why I think I did many more when I first tried this.

My idea is to "walk to Seattle".  Not literally, but on Google Maps.   I
am searching for a way to create directions in GM and then say "500m"
and it show me where on that map I would be.  I found a pedometer site
that will calculate distance between two points, but I have the fitbit
and I know my distance each day.  2,700m is a long way and by looking at
progress I am motivated to keep it going.  Just doing a few laps in my
sub and keeping active I can average 8m/day.  This time I'm not focusing
on the scale and I've introduced cardio and calisthenics.  I've started
jogging so I do not spend so much time marking distance.

Any ideas?

Chris