[ale] [OT] On suits and blogs

Brian Stanaland brian at stanaland.org
Tue Jul 10 19:15:31 EDT 2012

Good luck on those. I enjoyed the thread you're talking about. I
interviewed a couple of months ago where I wore black pants, charcoal
jacket, pale blue shirt and "power" tie. During the interview one of the
engineers, who was wearing shorts and flip flops, said "do people still
wear suits to interviews?" It was pretty funny. I didn't get the job but it
was because the company decided not to fill the position. I have another
one tomorrow. This time I asked about the dress code. Before he could
answer I told him I was asking because a lot of my stuff is still in
storage and I wasn't sure where my suit was at. He said "nice jeans and a
good shirt, whatever."

It's all about the culture of the company.

--Brian

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 5:07 PM, leam hall <leamhall at gmail.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> Some time back we had a discussion about suits and a couple weeks ago I
> posted a blog about 10 vital steps for job seekers. For those who don't
> know, I'm putting what was said to the test. When I wrote the blog post it
> was not just "what I've done before" but "what I'm doing right now". I have
> been interviewing with three different companies for a total of four
> different positions. The things I wrote about have made my interviews go
> very well and have guided me in the process.
>
> For two of the three interviews I wore a nice suit that I purchased just
> for the job search. It's expensive, does its best to make me look good, and
> is tailor to my shapely form.   At the other interview I knew the dress
> code was very casual so I wore cargo slacks, a polo shirt, and my Vibram 5
> toes.
>
> I'm keeping my fingers crossed and praying like made for clarity as offers
> may or may not be extended. At this stage I feel I've done the best job I
> can in presenting myself and look forward to the responses. For those of
> you on the ALE list who are considering a career move, this is a great
> place to find Off Topic but important information.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts, and thanks for appreciating mine!
>
> Leam
>
> --
> Mind on a Mission <http://leamhall.blogspot.com/>

The more laws and order are made prominent,
The more thieves and robbers there will be.*Lao-tzu*, *The Way of Lao-tzu*
*Chinese philosopher (604 BC - 531 BC)*