[ale] OT ntp - leap second - how many knew what this was 3 weeks ago

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sat Jul 7 10:28:10 EDT 2012

On Sat, 2012-07-07 at 09:47 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
> leap seconds are a counting problem not a calculation problem :-)
>

> The orbital period of the earth is 365.256366 days, or 1.0000175 years
>
> 365.256366 days X 60 seconds/minute X 60 minutes/hr X 24 hours/day =
> 31558150.0224 seconds/year
>
> so as long as the teacher will accept an answer in sidereal seconds...
>
> 31558150.0224 seconds/year X age in years + 86400 seconds/day X days
> since last birthday = age in seconds.

Ah, but the real problem is that it's not steady.  It wobbles and varies
very slightly, hence the need to measure it and the inability to predict
into the future very far.