[ale] flip flopping on programming, now interested in c++

leam hall leamhall at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 12:56:52 EDT 2012

On 7/2/12, Ron Frazier (ALE) <atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com> wrote:
> Hi all,

Hey Ron!

Let me push back on some things and contribute to another couple.

You need to be on IRC routinely. Lists are great but IRC is faster and
lets you build a reputation and community quicker. The job I'm in now
came from an IRC contact.

That said, your LinkedIn profile and public code repositories are your
real resume. Don't talk to the HR person about what you can code in.
Same for a recruiter. They don't know. Make sure people know you can
produce programs, not just code. Any teen-ager can code, you need to
show why you are more valuable than a twenty something living with
their parents.

Why C++? It really doesn't matter what language you want if you want
to be employed more than you want a particular language. What jobs do
you really want to get and what tools/languages do those jobs use? C++
is good for operating systems and games. Java is good for lots of
things, Android being one. Pick your domain and want what they need.

If you continue with C++, check out:  http://www.cprogramming.com
They do both C and C++. As far as I know C11 and C++11 are in process.
They are not yet active standards in that everyone is using them.

Read the gm4jh.com stuff and buy their book. Great stuff! For example,
you can start doing tutorials and with your background you may be able
to help people out on meta-programming questions on C++. That
advertises you and gets you noticed faster than sending a resume to
HR.

Leam

--
Mind on a Mission <http://leamhall.blogspot.com/>