[ale] [Kinda OT] The "TalkMaster", Freedom and Free Software

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Mon Jan 30 13:53:49 EST 2012

I don’t know how many of you actually spend (waste?) time listening to
talk radio, but I do on occasion.  One of the things I spend (again,
waste?) my time listening to in the car or when I think to fire up the
stream on my computer is Neal Boortz.

Now, he seems to take the position that freedom is paramount and that we
should all exercise it.  He constantly complains, for example, about
“government schools” and how they do not really provide an education,
much less equip our young to exercise their freedom.

However, he seems to spend an awful lot of time pushing products for
Windows in the spots on his show.  I have never even once heard him or
any of his sheep call in and mention that there is free software which
enables people to exercise their fundamental freedoms with regard to
their computing platforms.  In fact, it seems that his platform is
nothing more than a façade, where he is quite happy to push things that
cause people to become less free as a result of the use of the things
that he pushes.

I find myself wondering:  Is this because he doesn’t know about it?  Or
is he insincere?

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”