[ale] Fedora 16 declines to see Epson Perfection 610

Tom Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Jan 26 16:47:39 EST 2012

I've been banging my head against this for a while with nothing to show
for it.

I have an Epson Perfection 610 flatbed scanner, which hasn't seen any use
for two or three years, but which I appear to need to have up and running
in the near future against my desktop machine. A little late, but I also
brought the software up to date by installing Fedora 16 over the old
install (F-14, I know the job should have been done some months ago 8-()
The system software has installed fine (with one glitch only, another post
sorry). Now for the scanner...

Things are nice and plugged up. (Power, usb, etc). I can use lsusb to
locate the scanner and the manufacturer and device id (0x04b8:0x0103 if I
copied correctly). Running sane-find-scanner both as myself regular user
and root appears to find the scanner, but scanimage -L does not find the
scanner.

I've tried some edits and poking around in /etc/sane.d, mostly to try
adding a "usb 0x04b8 0x0103" line to the epson2.conf file, but also to try
using the epson.conf backend (which is depreciated). SeLinux both on and
off, still no joy. Probably my description to google lacks something, but
I haven't found any leads there either.

I know the scanner works, as I plugged up with a friend's laptop under
Ubuntu 10.10, and it just works under Ubuntu.

I am sorely puzzled by this, and apparently need to report to the public
square for a beating with a large clue stick.

Again, thanks for the use of your bandwidth and time