[ale] to sudo or not to sudo

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Thu Jan 26 10:06:38 EST 2012

So you have a command string that does something like:
"sudo script"
to do it all in one script?
-OR-
You have a cron job that runs something like:
"script"
and script contains a line that does "sudo otherscript"?

You can do the latter quite easily.   When script runs the sudo otherscript  command it will run and exit with a return code just like any other command.  The rest of the script after the sudo otherscript line would have your python command in it.

The key in either case is to make sure that script is only writable by root (and ideally even only readable by root) including being in a directory that only root can modify.   Anyone who can edit the script called by sudo can gain root privileges.