[ale] OT. Dead harddrive on laptop

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Tue Jan 24 13:10:03 EST 2012

Hi JD,

It's good to see another Spinrite user.  Those are pretty rare on this
list.  I've had good results with the product, as I posted in my other
reply.  I think Rich Faulkner said he'd had some good experience with it
in another thread long ago.  Just so you know, my experience is that
Spinrite will produce copious quantities of seek errors with Seagate
drives.  I actually replaced a drive once because of that.  After
checking with Spinrite tech support, I was essentially told that it was
a false alarm and the data on the SMART reporting screen, which this
was, is sometimes not reliable.  I was told that it's because Steve had
to reverse engineer the SMART reporting and that there's little
standardization or documentation in that area.  So, as of now, I pretty
much ignore seek errors on Seagate drives if everything else is
working.  Regarding warranties, I always like to look for the drives
with 5 yr. warranties.  Seagate has always been good to me.  Who knows
how the industry will recover after the flooding in Thailand.

Sincerely,

Ron

On 1/24/2012 12:48 PM, JD wrote:

<snip>

> Over the next few days, I let spinritehttps://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm  have
> at it on level 4 (toggle all bits) and waited. After about 30 hours the process
> finished. Zero issues. No seek errors, no read failures, no bad sectors.  I'm
> convinced it was just lazy bits in the directory structure that needed to be
> refreshed. That drive will work its way back into backup rotation. I won't trust
> it for primary data, but as a backup drive, it is fine.  I never trusted it for
> primary data anyway - it was a "blue" HDD with a 1 yr warranty.

<snip>