[ale] [ANNC] ALE-CENTAL MTG. for Thurs., Jan. 26, 7:30pm

Aaron Ruscetta arxaaron at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 15:06:36 EST 2012

-- PLEASE NOTE THE DATE! --
No rooms were available to accommodate our regular third Thursday
meeting schedule, so we have moved the meeting date to:
 -- THURSDAY, JANUARY 26 --

We will still be meeting at the usual time and venue:
7:30pm at Emory Law School, Gambrel Hall, Room 1C

Our featured presentation will be a reprise of the popular
talk offered at the Jan. 12 meeting of ALE-NW at SPSU:
==========
Network and Systems Management with OpenNMS**
presented by Jeff Gehlbach
==========

Abstract:
-- Whether your organization's network has a dozen nodes or twelve-thousand, it
sucks when some of those nodes go down or have performance problems.  A whole
discipline of network and systems management has evolved to deal with this
problem, resulting in many software platforms both free and proprietary aiming
to solve it.  One of these, OpenNMS (Open Network Management System), brings a
100% free and Open Source software approach with massive scalability as its key
operational goal.  This talk will present a gentle introduction to network
management concepts along with a tour of OpenNMS' architecture and, provided the
stars align, a live demo!

Bio:
-- Jeff Gehlbach discovered Linux in 1994 when a friend shared with him a box
of floppies containing Slackware 2.3, and has been hooked ever since.  He has
subsequently worked as a network engineer, Solaris and Linux systems admin,
network management consultant, and network management software developer
among others.  Today he pays the bills by helping organizations manage their
networks and systems using free software including OpenNMS.

Our ALE Central meetings are usually held at Emory
Law School in the Gambrel Hall lecture room 1C.
Our meeting time frame is 7:30pm to ~9:30pm
Directions to Emory Law School can be found at
<http://ale.org/?page_id=2>
As always, this information is repeated on our web site:
<http://ALE.org>