[ale] VMPlayer 3 vs VirtualBox

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 17 11:16:21 EST 2012

Robert Coggins <ale at cogginsnet.com> writes:

> On 1/16/2012 4:03 PM, JD wrote:
>> On 01/16/2012 01:44 PM, Robert Coggins wrote:
>>> On 12/31/2011 9:26 PM, Narahari 'n' Savitha wrote:
[snip]
>>> Will VMware server not accomplish what you need?
>>
>> VMware Server hasn't been updated and won't be updated anymore. EOL.
>> http://www.vmware.com/support/policies/lifecycle/general/index.html#policy_server
>>
>> Nobody should be using "VMware Server" anymore.

[snip]

> LOL, wow! Now I really feel out of it.  Well I guess there is the ESX
> option....

Except that ESX requires a Windows console to control it.

AFAICT there is no replacement for vmware-server.  I have found no
solution that would provide web-based console and web-based
administration with ACLs similar to the vmware-server system.

I could probably live with the console being some other protocol (vnc?)
provided it's SSL/TLS protected and access is limited per ACLs.

Again, I have not found anything that fits the bill.  :(

-derek