[ale] OT: ISP

Asher Vilensky dorfa1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 08:47:13 EST 2012

Hi all,

Let me start by saying that I'm a cheapskate when it comes to "luxury".  In
the mail below I'm talking about internet only - not plus-TV-and-phone
packages (TV still through the air; phone will be voip soon, I hope).

I've been using DSL 3.0MB (from Atlantic Nexus) for a long while now.  But
the needs of the family changed, while I stayed the cheap guy that I am.  I
would gladly upgrade to DSL 6.0 or even 12, but the problem is that there's
an infrastructure bottleneck for my street that wouldn't allow for it.  3.0
is the max.  (I'm not sure I understand this, but every provider I
contacted gave me the same answer.)  That leaves me with cable, U-verse, or
Clear-like providers.

>From what I can see my options are between Comcast cable 15.0 ($30 for 6
months; $45 for next 6; $63 thereafter....too expensive for my taste, plus
their sales person lied to me) or U-verse (internet only) 12.0, which is a
LOT more affordable - $30 for 12 months; $48 thereafter.  So as much as I
hate AT&T, it looks like my best option, considering I'm paying $37-39 for
my current 3.0 MB.

Any of you have any input to further educate me here?

Thanks.

-- Asher