[ale] OT - Have you an opinion of Apache Cassandra DB

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sun Jan 15 14:25:57 EST 2012

Sending from my phone, so this will be (relatively) short.

I don't like using Java. I don't like systems and libraries that have it as
a dependency, as a general rule. One exception is Android; I would have
preferred that Android developed a method of using native code. A JIT is
okay, and the fact that Dalvik plays by different rules than HotSpot is
okay by me. But Apple got it right by using native code.

I haven't used Cassandra because it is written in Java. I don't mind
managed runtimes for application prototyping, and even sometimes for Web
applications themselves, but I like things to be native when performance
matters, and databases are one of those things. For that reason, I prefer
PostgreSQL for databases. End of story. (And to those who say that
relations don't work for all apps, I say, "you probably haven't designed it
right".)

This short post from Mr. Trausch is brought to you by Melton's. :)

--
Sent from my CyanogenMod mobile device.
Please excuse any typos.