[ale] OT: Service for a Novatel USB cell modem

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Sun Jan 15 08:12:15 EST 2012

On Sat, 14 Jan 2012, Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> On 1/14/12 2:20 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
>>

>> Verizon is NOT your friend in this. Look at one of the fixed rate plans
>> with minimal data or plan on being "phone only" at times. Occasional data
>> use is deep into the stupid money range.
>>
> Yeah - that's what I was saying.  So who offers a "fixed rate plan with
> minimal data" - and wouldn't "phone only" defeat the whole purpose?

I put my Nokia N900 on T-Mobile. $60/mth prepaid. Which isn't their
cheapest plan, but works well for me. It is unlimited data, with some
number of GB (??) at their highest speed. It's my phone (personally)
and I use it for personal stuff and some business. It's worked
well for data ("3.5"g in some places, 2 in others..). As I need to call
internationally sometimes, I also (using the company credit card)
put some extra credit on the account. This way the company pays for the
weird LD and LD-texts..

and it was HALF of the "iPhone plan" I had at AT&T I was stuck with from
when I bought an iPhone (I now own three..,3,3gs,4 for testing other things)

I know they have a $50/mth plan.. again, unlimited with some GB at their
highest speed..

What kicked to me: is just like most of the world, I just walked in an
bought a SIM chip, and bought some minutes/monthly plan. Pretty darn
painless. No contracts.. etc.

And it worked on my Linux/Maemo powered phone.. which still, in may ways
(but not all) kicks the AndroiPhone world in the gutter.