[ale] Diagnostic help needed

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Sat Jan 14 21:29:05 EST 2012

40 Mbps is pretty wild.  You can bet you won't see continuous speeds
much above what you're paying for.  I've noticed that I have to reboot
my routers periodically to keep them from getting sluggish.  I now
include that in my Monday maintenance rituals along with system patches,
etc.  Comcast does have some sort of turbo boost technology that's
supposed to work for a short period of time whether you're on a speed
test or not.  That can skew the results on a short term speed test.  For
an indication of a more prolonged download test, try downloading a
Ubuntu ISO or similar from a fast mirror.  I've clocked these:
http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/ubuntu-releases/ and
http://mirrors.cs.wmich.edu/ubuntu-releases/ at sustained speeds of 15 -
16 Mbps when they're working.  (As a side note, don't let the Ubuntu
site pick your mirror for you, or you may be waiting hours downloading
at .5 Mbps from Europe.)  Once you get above about 25 Mbps, cheap
wireless routers, switches, and slow internet servers can easily be your
bottleneck.  I had an old Belkin wireless router that refused to go
above 10 Mbps.  It worked fine, but it just couldn't handle any more
packets than that.  Also, note that the max signaling rate for Wireless
G signals is 56 Mbps, I think.  The maximum data throughput will be
somewhat less.

Sincerely,

Ron

On 1/14/2012 8:48 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:

> All ISPs know the speedtest sites. Comcast is known to privide
> priority routing.
>
> On Jan 14, 2012 7:53 PM, "Drifter" <drifter at oppositelock.org
> <mailto:drifter at oppositelock.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Saturday, January 14, 2012 05:36:53 pm Kirsa wrote:
>     > I would not be surprised if you experienced a similar speed
>     issue next
>     > Friday though... On almost any residential cable node Friday
>     5-12pm is
>     > peak time and has the most utilization of the entire week. So
>     that you
>     > were down to 4mbit/s on Friday evening and 2mbit/s by Friday night
>     > sounds suspiciously like congestion to me, despite the faulty
>     > equipment.
>     [Rest trimmed for brevity.]
>
>     I had the same speed issues at 9 am Saturday morning. Snail-slow
>     download
>     speeds continued all day Saturday until I replaced the defective hub.
>     Then: BINGO! full speed returned.  In fact, a speed about 19:45
>     Saturday
>     (Speakeasy's test) returned the rather unbelievable download speed of
>     40.59 mbs! The upload speed was only 4.16. Obviously some sort of
>     burst
>     speed. Does Comcast have some way to know when I access a speed
>     test site
>     and goose the speed for a few seconds?
>
>     Sean

Ron Frazier