[ale] Diagnostic help needed

Drifter drifter at oppositelock.org
Sat Jan 14 19:51:50 EST 2012

On Saturday, January 14, 2012 05:36:53 pm Kirsa wrote:
> I would not be surprised if you experienced a similar speed issue next
> Friday though... On almost any residential cable node Friday 5-12pm is
> peak time and has the most utilization of the entire week. So that you
> were down to 4mbit/s on Friday evening and 2mbit/s by Friday night
> sounds suspiciously like congestion to me, despite the faulty
> equipment.
[Rest trimmed for brevity.]

I had the same speed issues at 9 am Saturday morning. Snail-slow download
speeds continued all day Saturday until I replaced the defective hub.
Then: BINGO! full speed returned.  In fact, a speed about 19:45 Saturday
(Speakeasy's test) returned the rather unbelievable download speed of
40.59 mbs! The upload speed was only 4.16. Obviously some sort of burst
speed. Does Comcast have some way to know when I access a speed test site
and goose the speed for a few seconds?

Sean